Saturday, November 12, 2011

SAD

                             Photobucket

Hosea 6:3

"Let us acknowledge the LORD; let us press on to acknowledge him. As surely as the sun rises, he will appear; he will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth.”


If you know me, you know that we are entering my least favorite season soon. Winter. Now, I love snow...well, I actually hate it when I have to drive. It paralyzes me with fear. But I love it when I have absolutely no where to go and now that I'm homeschooling again I'm excited to have more time to take the boys out into the snow.

The problem for me is S.A.D. It is also known as Seasonal Affective Disorder. It seems to hit me at the end of every October and this year was no different. I could tell that something was changing in me. I love to run. I love to run outside. All of the sudden I had no desire to exercise at all. (and most days I still don't but I make myself!) I was eating more. BLECH! Then I felt even more terrible! I've been more tired and grumpy.

What exactly is S.A.D.? Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is episodes of depression that occur at a certain time of the year, usually during winter.

What causes S.A.D.? People who live in places with long winter nights are at greater risk for SAD. A less common form of the disorder involves depression during the summer months.

Other factors that may make SAD more likely include:
•Amount of light
•Body temperature
•Genes
•Hormones

What are the symptoms?  (I've highlighted what I've been feeling) Symptoms usually build up slowly in the late autumn and winter months. Symptoms are usually the same as with depression:

Increased appetite with weight gain (weight loss is more common with other forms of depression)
•Increased sleep and daytime sleepiness (too little sleep is more common with other forms of depression)
Less energy and ability to concentrate in the afternoon
•Loss of interest in work or other activities
Slow, sluggish, lethargic movement
Social withdrawal (I have already been feeling like not going ANYWHERE!)
•Unhappiness and irritability

What are my treatment options? As with other types of depression, antidepressant medications and talk therapy can be effective.


Taking long walks during the daylight hours and getting exercise can make the symptoms better. Keep active socially, even if it involves some effort.

Light therapy using a special lamp with a very bright fluorescent light (10,000 lux) that mimics light from the sun may also be helpful.
•Follow your doctor's instructions about how to use light therapy. A common practice is to sit a couple of feet away from the light box for about 30 minutes every day. This is usually done in the early morning, to mimic sunrise.
•Keep your eyes open, but do not look straight into the light source.
Symptoms of depression should improve within 3 - 4 weeks if light therapy is going to help.

So what am I personally doing? Well, I go outside every time I possibly can. I try and get at least an hour outside a day when it itsn't raining. I absolutely LOVE being outside. I feel so much better when I can go out and get some fresh air and some sun! I have also increased my vitamin D intake. This is supposed to help due to decreased sun exposure. And as an added benefit, it is supposed to help boost your immune system! I have also continued to exercise. As much as I've been hating it (mostly because I can't run outside anymore) I've been making myself do 30 minutes a day. I also want to check into a light box. My mom works for a doctor, so I'm going to see if I can talk to him about what is going on and see if he reccommends one for me!

So if you hear me say I hate winter, this explains why. And it's not even so much winter as what it does to me. I don't feel like myself at all. I hate that feeling! I am trying to be content in the seasons right now (and I mean literal seasons! I'm still talking about winter!) I know that God will bring me through. It is just so rough for me. People who love winter don't understand why I don't like it and this is why. I'm ready for spring already!

Hosea 6:3

"Let us acknowledge the LORD; let us press on to acknowledge him. As surely as the sun rises, he will appear; he will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth.”

I am thankful that He comes to me even in winter rains.


All information was taken from this website. This post is not meant to diagnose or treat anything. If you think you are suffering from SAD or any other form of depression please contact your doctor immediately!






 







3 comments:

  1. I love the snow when I'm not driving too. It is beautiful and like a big white blanket for our world. I'm sorry you suffer from S.A.D. My dad does as well. He has a light that seems to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have long wondered if this is something that affects me. I'm doing well so far this fall but the past few years had been super hard for me. Praying you can find a solution and some relief!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I get the blues with the bad weather, but I don't think I quite fit into the SAD category, thankfully. I'm sorry you have to deal with it and I hope you're able to work through it this winter!! I have several friends that swear by vitamin D and cod liver oil... I don't know!

    ReplyDelete